The scholarship aims to encourage and support all students in Canada with journalism skills by helping them with the costs of their education. Furthermore, the scholarship is intended to serve as a way to help prepare students for a career path in data journalism.
The Investintech - CAJ Data Journalism Scholarship is open to students who show an interest in data journalism. Eligible students must meet the following requirements:
- Majoring in a journalism program, working towards either a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree.
- Currently accepted to or enrolled in a college or university in Canada.
- Pursuing a course of studies leading to an undergraduate or graduate degree in journalism.
- Non-journalism program students may apply, but will need to show evidence of their journalism skills and interest, such as having a published news story, or be working for a college publication, etc.
The winning submission will be one that shows strong data analysis skills combined with excellent storytelling techniques. Submissions must include:
- An example of a work of journalism that shows the application of data skills
- An explanation of what you did and how you did it, including the resources you used. For submissions that were part of a group project, applicants must explain their role, the skills they used in fulfilling that role, and the specific parts of the story, or stories, that their contribution influenced.
- An idea for a project you would like to work on, particularly if you had more data journalism skills. Include a link to a dataset that shows why the story is worth pursuing, and a link to a story you aspire to create or one that inspires you as a journalist.
- A letter of support from an instructor or editor.