The ExpressVPN Future of Privacy Scholarship was created to raise awareness of internet privacy and security.
The internet is undoubtedly having a transformative effect on our education system.
ExpressVPN found, for instance, that virtually all classrooms across the US are being equipped with unprotected high-speed broadband, leaving them open to data breaches, cyber attacks, and surveillance. Across the pond, UK schools are pouring billions into educational technology for both teachers and students, but more than a quarter of them still lack basic cybersecurity measures to keep such technology secure.
As the number of internet-ready devices entering classrooms in the US and the UK skyrockets, so do the threats and vulnerabilities to the privacy of the individuals who use them. Awareness, then, of online security and a fundamental understanding of privacy rights are more important than ever.
Enter by submitting a short essay exploring the prompt below:
Essay prompt: If you had the combined powers of all the world’s leaders, what would be your 10-year plan to ensure the next generation has the right to privacy?
Essay Length: 300-400 words
Scholarship award amount
The winner of the 2018 Scholarship will receive a $5,000 cash prize.
ExpressVPN will also select five runners-up to be rewarded each with a 12-month VPN subscription.
The winning essay shall be determined using the following criteria:
-Level of creativity, originality, and detail of the submission
-Student’s ability to formulate an opinion
-Clear and articulate writing
- Essays must be written in English.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in either a high school, undergraduate school, or graduate school located in the United States or United Kingdom.
- There is no age or citizenship requirement.
- Essays must be sent via email only, to this address: firstname.lastname@example.org. To be valid, the application email must include the following information:
->The name, address, and contact details of your school
->Your current grade level
- One entry per student. Multiple entries per student will be disregarded.
- Essays must be submitted online by August 31, 2018, no later than 11:59 PM, Pacific Standard Time.
- The winner will be announced before or on Saturday, October 13, 2018. The prize will be awarded by international wire transfer. The winner will be required to provide his/her bank information in order to complete the bank transfer.
- The winner must submit a valid ID and proof of enrollment in a high school, undergraduate school, or graduate school located in the United States or United Kingdom.
- Employees of ExpressVPN and their immediate family members are not eligible for this contest.
- All entries become the property of ExpressVPN. The contest winner agrees to allow ExpressVPN to publish or print his/her name and essay.
- Winners will be solely responsible for any federal, state, or local taxes.
- The prize is listed and paid in United States Dollars (USD).
- The decision of ExpressVPN in respect of any dispute arising out of this program shall be final.