The grand prize winner will receive a scholarship of $3,000. Two honorable mention recipients will receive awards of $1,000 each.
Applicants will submit the following as part of the online application process:
• A Scholarship Application Form
• An essay written in English describing (1) how you have already contributed to creating opportunity, improving the quality of life, and/or advocating for and empowering marginalized communities in your home country and/or within the U.S. Central American community (2) how you will continue to do so after your education is completed, and (3) how your education will directly affect your ability to effect these goals
To be eligible for the scholarship program, applicants must comply with all of the following requirements. The student must:
• Be a citizen of a Central American countries. For the purpose of this scholarship, a “Central American country” is defined as Belize, Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala,Nicaragua, Costa Rica, or Panama.
• Be enrolled or accepted to study full-time at one of the universities MPOWER supports in the United States or Canada for an undergraduate or graduate degree program
• Be an international student allowed to legally study in the United States or Canada, as applicable:
o For study in the U.S., this means that the applicant is either a U.S. permanent resident (Green Card holder), protected under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, or has a valid visa that permits study in the U.S.
o For study in Canada, this means the applicant is either a Canadian permanent resident of has a valid Canadian study permit.